Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Gym

So, when I was physically inactive I labored under the delusion that the gym was where people who aren't in shape go to get in shape.

Boy was I in for a shocker.

B and I joined the gym to get in shape. But whenever I go there, I just see all of these incredibly fit people, trying like hell to be even fitter (which, you know, good for them, but boo for me), and giving the evil eye to any shlub who dares touch their elliptical machine. After working out a whole bunch for the past few weeks, I think I might have even worse self esteem then before I started.

This is especially true when it comes to the classes offered by the gym. The first one I tried was an all body workout class. While I did work my entire body, I was definitely the least in shape in the class and I feel like I was constantly holding the class back or lagging behind. That was a night that I went home and cried. Last night I attempted a spinning class, for the first time. I thought I knew that it would be tough- but I really had no idea. This was the first time I've ever worked my body so hard to keep up with something to the point where I almost vomited. It was also the first time that I had to leave a class early because I just simply couldn't do it. The balls of my feet were aching, my knees were killing me and I thought that my heart was going to explode. Some classes operate under the idea that you should only go as fast as your slowest person- this was not one of those classes. I might have felt like I was lagging in the all body workout class, but I was seriously behind in this class. This was the second night that I went home and cried.

But I understand that it's an uphill battle. I've gotta keep pushing myself until I almost vomit, otherwise I will never be where I want to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FIRST!


Hey, at least you can rest assured that you've got more stick-to-itiveness than Stoney, who joined a gym, went for maybe 3 weeks, then took another 8 weeks to officially quit, paying an extra $300 to be in denial for those two months.

My favorite workout was the "Refer to yourself in 3rd person" squatthrust.

Crabanne said...

I wanted to let you know I was there a few months ago. I took a cardio kick-boxing class and it kicked my ass, but I stuck with it even when I was convinced I was going to die. I'm still doing it even though it still sucks balls and hurts like a bitch. It's gonna suck and hurt, even when you become one of those evil eyed incredibly fit person, you'll just be used to it at that point, like they are. Once you start seeing results, you'll feel better. And a rough workout is the best excuse for a 2 hour bath and book!