Friday, August 29, 2008

Ode to My Bike

Dear Bianchi Bike in my living room, that doesn't necessarily have a name yet,

You are amazing!

In my rush to grow up, I completely threw aside the idea of bike riding. I thought that motor vehicles were the way to go, because you never see the cool kids on bicycles in their senior year. So biking fell to the wayside, along with exercise and my carefree sense of "who gives a crap what I look like."

But now, with gas prices on the rise, the bicycle seems to be the best way of getting around locally. Of course, riding in Maryland is a bit tougher than riding in Florida- takes a lot more leg power, due to hills. But it's also more enjoyable, because of the downhill bits. Those are my favorite! There is something exhilarating about coasting down a hill, wind in your face, rushing past your ears- and knowing that you're not going to crash.

So far, we haven't been together for too long, but it's been quality time (except for when B knocked you over in the middle of the night, since you were in the middle of the living room). We've gone through Loch Raven Village (both the nice parts, and the ghetto parts), climbed up hills in first gear, and coasted as much as we could. We've almost been run over (not my fault!), and "holla'd" at.

I hope that we can continue to cultivate the type of relationship this seems to be turning into. I will make more of an effort to ride you around town (especially after I get a lock, so no one can steal you) if you promise to do your best to guard against flat tires.

Love,
Cori

Ps- all of those hours doing cardio at the gym on those fancy machines means nothing to me- you're the only one for me, baby.

No comments: