Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Do All Dexter's Have A Laboratory?



B and I might be the last people on Earth who haven't been enchanted by Showtime's Dexter.

Well, until last week, that is.

There is something oddly sympathetic about Dexter. He seems to genuinely want to fit in with the rest of the world. Now, I understand the crux of the show is that Dexter doesn't feel. As he puts it, he's "empty." But I think that either begins to change for him, or he can just fake it. Really well.

When we first started watching this show, my first reaction was "I don't like this guy. I don't care if he's helping the world by killing bad dudes. He's creepy, and I want nothing to do with him." This reaction is quite a different reaction from every other show that I like, which usually goes "OMG this is awesome/hilarious/bad ass/by Joss Whedon! I love it, and we're not even at the first commercial break!"

But the more B and I watched, the more hooked I got. It even got to the point where I wanted all of the sick and morbid stuff to continue.

I was thinking about the average viewers moral compass, and how much this show effs with it. The premise? There is a serial killer out there. He's the main character of the show. But, he only kills people who deserve it. As a viewer, at first I was quite squeamish about all of the bloody/gory/power tooly stuff going on. But once you get used to the premise (which took me a few episodes), you start to want to see him take care of the bad guys. You want to know more about what made him who he is, Harry's code for killing, and (during the first season) the Ice Truck Killer.

I'm pretty excited about starting the second season. I hope there's a lot more about Rita and the kids, Harry, Deb, and Dexter slashing up bad guys.

No comments: