Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Family Life

How does that old saying go? The one about choosing friends and family?

"Friends are the family we choose"

Well, that's true sometimes. Other times, I think that it's possible to adopt an entire family as your own. Those are the best ones.

B's family has two sides: his mom's and his dad's. Both sides appear, at first, to be quite similar. But really, they're quite different.

His dad's side of the family is small(ish). It's easy enough to know everyone's name, along with somethings about them. A few of his cousins are really great, but there are a few people on this side of the family who ruin it for me. They're self absorbed, to the point of ruining other people's lives.

On the other end of the spectrum, his mom's side of the family is huge. His mom had 8 siblings- and they all have offspring. After being with B for going on five years, I still can't keep everyone straight. His immediate family on this side is wonderful. His mom, sister and brother-in-law all treat me like part of the family. They are warm and loving, without being smothering.

Throughout my time with B, I've felt included in every activity that happened on his mom's side. I went to his sisters wedding, I've stayed at her place, I've stayed at his mom's, I'm able to go to both of them for advice and I invited them to my college graduation. While I've been included in some of the activities on B's dad's side of the family, I'm constantly reminded that I'm not family.

But it's okay, because I know my family. My dad, aunts, uncles, cousins- along with a mom, sister and brother.

No comments: