Thursday, October 9, 2008

Don't Talk About It part 2

It's another one of those topics that is taboo in polite company: Religion.

I'm Jewish.

Well, I should say that I was born Jewish, to Jewish parents. When I was young, I went to Sunday School (up to a point-but that's a story for another day). We made hamantash, learned prayers, sang songs, painted ladders (I'm not too sure why... but we did. At least once), and went to Temple on the High Holy days.


Cut to 15 some odd years later and it's a totally different story. I'm a "Holiday Jew". Pretty much, if presents are exchanged, I participate. But you'll never find me at Temple, or praying, or painting ladders. Heck, it's Yom Kippur and I didn't even fast.

It's not as if my "un-Judaism" is connected to a conscious decision. I just didn't learn it. Sometimes I'm pretty sad about it, because I always viewed being Jewish was something to be proud of. I have a rich heritage that I don't know much about.

I do go through bouts of curiousness. In college I took a History of Judaism course (which I got an A in). In Orlando, I tried joining the on-campus Hillel group- but I got scared. I couldn't help thinking "What if I'm not Jewish enough?" I suppose it's a stupid thing to be afraid of, but people in college tend be ruled by their heart- and there's no arguing with someone who refuses to listen.

Do I ever think that I will become "more Jewish"? I'm not sure. It seems that Religion is one of those things that took a back seat when the world grew smaller and people got busier. I thoroughly respect anyone now-a-days who is actually religious- any Religion. I define these people as those who go to Temple/Church every week, allow the teachings of their faith to dictate parts of their life (diet, moral compass, etc.) and can actually have a religious argument backed up by scripture and (religious) fact.

Of course, there are zealots in every direction, which turn me off to Religion. These people turn a blind eye to the world, and tend to hold beliefs that their faith has dictated for two-thousand years (give or take). They are willing to attack women going into abortion clinics, not allow their children to participate in courses offered by their schools on sex education, have their kids leave science class when learning about Evolution and pass a world view to their children that involves racism, sexism, bigotry and homophobia- all while citing religious scripture.

The more I think about it, the less I think I will ever become a religious person. I try to live by my own moral compass- be nice to people, give back to the community and care for those around you.

1 comment:

teddi said...

For me, being Jewish is more of a spiritual thing. Instead of praying everyday, I make wishes. To me, these two things are synonymous. I wake up and I am thankful to be a Jew. It is always at the back of my mind. I keep this synonymous with being kind, tenderhearted, and generous. I do not believe you are far off. Also, because I know you of all people will appreciate this, Elie Wiesel once said, "I do not recall a Jewish home without a book on the table." Think about it.