Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A(nother) Life Decision

Well, this past week has been crazy. Not really a physical craziness, more of a mental one.

For the second (or third) time in this blog, I have decided that I know what I want to do when I grow up.

I want to be a Librarian.

What does this entail? Well, quite a bit actually. To become a full fledged librarian, you need a degree. There are many choices (Masters of Library Sciences, Masters of Information and Library Sciences, etc...) and which degree you end up with seems to (mostly) depend on which institution you acquire your degree from. The biggest part about choosing an institution is making sure that it's ALA accredited.

To get said degree requires the following:
  1. Decent to good GRE scores
  2. Decent to good GPA in undergrad (which is apparently sometimes called a QPA?!)
  3. Entrance into an acceptable school
  4. Money to pay for education from acceptable school.
I have... well, I have one out of four. But I'm working on the rest... Well, planning on it.

Then the question arises: Why a Librarian?

My thought process was thus: I want to be a teacher. No, wait, I don't want to teach. But I do want to have something to do with books. I live in the wrong city for publishing... and I like the idea of working in a school and helping kids... Okay, I can be the school librarian. What does one need to become a school librarian? Oh, a Masters in Library Sciences... Well, how much do regular librarians make? HOLY JEEZE I SHOULD BE A LIBRARIAN.

See? It fulfills everything I want from a career!

Now all I have to do is to take the GRE, get good scores, apply to grad schools, get accepted by one of them, find some financial aide, and make it through two to three years of classes! Voila!

No comments: