Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Essay vs. The Blog

When it comes to reading, I tend to stick with certain things. A lot of it is conventional, although there is room for experimentation. I like to read novels- give me something with defined characters and a plot. I enjoy short stories because they are baby novels.

I've recently become enamored with Essays: they are the size of a short story (or long one, depending on how verbose the author is), and usually ingrained with some truth that the author has discovered at some point in their life. I had a coworker in Orlando who used to read a lot of Chuck Klosterman, and I was alway intrigued. But not enough to out of my way to read him.

It's a slow work day today, and was perusing one of the many Esquires that grace the mens bathroom, when I started reading an editorial. It was witty, funny, and spoke the truth to me. Little did I know that this amusing essay was by Chuck Klosterman- my new favorite essayist (extremely new. Granted, I've spent practically all day on the Esquire site reading his essays). He manages to roll movies, tv, music, pop-culture, old school ideals and a sense of purpose to his essays- and that's not easy.

I also have been wanting to read Lester Bangs for a while now. Ever since Philip Seymour Hoffman portrayed him in Almost Famous (one of my favorite movies of all time), I've been intrigued.

One essayist/writer that I have greatly admired, and enjoyed reading is Nora Ephron. I'm sure you know who she is, even if you don't know who she is. She wrote When Harry Met Sally and Sleepless in Seattle. Or at least she directed SiS. Whichever. She has a collections of essays that has been out for a while, called I Feel Bad About My Neck (and Other Thoughts on Being A Woman) that was an extremely amusing, and quick read. I highly recommend it.

I've also gotten to thinking about essays, blogs and how they are connected. I know this isn't an amazing realization. But in writing my dailiy blog entry, I'm attempting to share some kernel of truth from my life with people I've not necessarily met. And I'm not the only one out there doing this. My friend TAG shares every little preppy thing about herself with her (quite large) readership. FIB lets those of us wanting to be in NYC live vicariously, and those who do live in NYC get another perspective on the things around them. You can surf blogs all day with topics ranging from cooking, animals, cities, and guns. You could also go into your local Borders Store, and browse essay books on the same subjects for days.

I guess this puts me in the 21st century. So here I am, laying my pen and paper aside, to share my knowledge with you.

1 comment:

Lisanne said...

Great essay!

I like Chuck Klosterman and Nora Ephron too. I recently read "I feel bad about my neck" while visiting my mother (she happened to have it) and read it in one night, highly amusing is right!

And thanks SO MUCH for the honor of being mentioned in the same blog post as Lester Bangs!

I'm having fun checking out yo' blog!