Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Embarassing Music.

Once again I was tagged by TAG, with a fun and wacky meme. This one's all about music!

Here are the rules:
1. Link to the person who tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
2. Share 5 songs you are embarrassed to admit to others that you like and tell why.
3. Tag 5 random people at the end of post and include links to their blogs.
4. Let each person know they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

I've taken a day to mull this over, because there isn't anything in my music collection that I'm particularly embarrassed by. I suppose the worst it gets is that I still listen to some music from high school that all of my friends have "moved past" and B gives me weird looks when I listen to it.

1. "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)" by the Offspring- The first Offspring album I bought was Americana (I know, I know- all of the cool kids had Smash first). I thought they were fun and funny. Listening to this song/album makes me think of my freshmen year of high school, and just wanting to fit in- so I listened to this song a whole lot (ironic, eh?).

2. "My Paper Heart" by All American Rejects- Whenever I hear All American Rejects (or AAR if you're neat), I'm transported back to a particularly silly day when I was working at my first Hot Topic. We had just gotten this album in at the store, so we were listening to it over the sound system. My friend Z came in- he was always up on his pop-punk- and began serenading me. And then my boss. Lots of giggling ensued, and that moment was burned into my brain forever (and makes me smile whenever it comes up).

3. "You May Be Right" by Billy Joel- I'm a Billy Joel fan. My two favorite Billy Joel albums are Piano Man & Glass Houses. While I think that Piano Man is just plain good, I think that Glass Houses is just plain cheesy and 80's. But, to quote that album, "It's still Rock & Roll to me." Although, I must admit, the song "Sometimes a Fantasy" freaks me out pretty badly. When I was a kid, I thought that it was silly- some guy talking on the phone to people. After listening to it some 10 years later, I now realize that it's about phone sex.

4. "Love Fool" by The Cardigans- The catchiest song on the album, but still the most fun. This song is connected to two, very different, periods in my life. The first is listening to the Romeo + Juliet soundtrack in my friend Michelle's room during middle school. The second is from about 2 years ago. Some friends and I had gone to I-Bar (in Orlando), and this song came on. The dance floor became insanely crowded, and everyone was just dancing and having such a good time. And it was all because of this silly song.

5. "Freak of the Week" by Marvelous 3- I rode my bike 3 miles to the record store, the day this album came out- just based on my love of this song. Unfortunately that record store didn't have it. So my friend and I rode our bikes the 3 miles back to my house, caught the bus to the mall and I was able to buy the album there. Yes, it was totally worth it. And yes- every now and then I will put on my Marvelous 3 album, and sing at the top of my lungs (on the way to work. alone. in the car).

PS- I won't be tagging anyone to do this meme (yet again). Tagging people still requires knowing people.

On another note, B and I will be taking our big trip to Upstate New York to visit family in about a week. I'm pretty excited by seeing everyone. We also haven't taken a proper road trip since December, so I'm looking pretty forward to that part, too!

1 comment:

teddi said...

Fabulous choices. I live for Billy Joel.