Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Why do anything half-assed?

The signs were there when I was a kid. I wanted to be an actor when I grew up. I had multiple video game systems (and beat quite a few of the games that I owned). I read- all of the time. I liked fantasy movies. I listened to classic rock. There was no denying it.

I'm a dork. 100%.

As an "adult" I read comics (print and web). I love Joss Whedon. I watch Doctor Who (well... watch is a loose term. Closer to obsessed with). I read Douglas Adams and Philip Pullman. There's Battlestar Galactica. And then the video games. Guitar Hero, anything Mario related (on any platform), and yes, even WOW. You can throw me almost any line from Scrubs, How I Met Your Mother, or Torchwood- and I will (most likely) respond with the next line.

I gladly go to conventions to meet the lesser faces of Harry Potter (and I have the pictures to prove it!). Heck, I've even did a shadowcast performance of "Once More With Feeling" and a Buffy convention. We're not even going to count that year in college I was part of a shadowcast troupe for Rocky Horror Picture Show.

And the great thing? I love it. No need to be ashamed. No need to feel guilty, or attempt to fit into the crowd.

If todays me, and the me from when I was 16 talked, I'm sure it would be an interesting conversation. Back then it was all about fitting in (not just for me- but for everyone in high school). Not necessarily fitting into the "in" crowd... but just fitting in somewhere. And if that meant hiding my Rocky Horror collectibles when a friend came over (it was a long obsession... don't ask me why), then so be it. Or only feeling like I could quote Buffy the Vampire Slayer to to those I trusted with my life... well that was the way it would be.

I like things now. I like that I'm not scared of showing someone who I am... because if they don't like me, it doesn't matter. There's always someone out there who will be my friend because of the very reasons others won't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i didnt know u liked doctor who?! omg ive been watching since i was little and my parents watched the original shows on tape- i remember being terrified! and now, david tennant, adgklnmgkmdgs, wonderful- did u see him on the graham norton show a few years ago? too funny! why did we never talk about what dorks we were? cause right now im planning a career exploring the literary merit of modern scifi and fantasy, banking on a new angle to get me into grad school
-becca t