Monday, August 18, 2008

The Pluses & Minuses of Having a Cold.



For me, no vacation would be complete without getting ill afterwards. The first time I visited Baltimore, I went home with a pretty awesome Lung Infection (that was borderline pneumonia for a while there). After visiting B in South Carolina, I would get a cold. So why would this vacation end in a different way?

But, I think I will attempt to be positive about this. So here is my list of the +'s & -'s of having a cold.

+ Spend as much time in bed as you want/ Sleep as much as you want.
+ People cater to you. "Honey, I think the only thing that would make me feel better right now would be a grilled cheese and tomato soup. Pleeeeeeease?"
+ You don't have to do anything you don't want, because you have a pretty good excuse. "I'm sorry, I can't attend the family dinner tonight because I have a cold. I wouldn't want anyone else to catch it."
+ An excuse to watch trashy television! "Yes, watching 4 straight hours of 'Shear Genius' was excruciating. But i was so weak, I couldn't turn the channel."
+ An excuse to take Nyquil without coming off as crazy.
+ The ability to bitch as much as you want. This one sort of goes hand in hand with getting catered to. Because if they don't, then you can :)

- You can't get up to do things that you want to do.
- One word: Snot.
- Cold medicines that don't work, i.e. only make you groggy, but your symptoms don't go away.
- The inability to taste food.
- The tendency to snore (due to snot). This doesn't bother me, as much as it bothers B.

1 comment:

The Square Pimp said...

Wow. I read the headline in my feed reader as "The Pluses and minuses of having a child"...

I even read the first few lines wondering "Is she sick, dealing with a child I had no idea existed, or is the child sick and she's just really bad at communicating the subject of the article?"

Hope you feel better soon sweetie.

Stoney